Man accused of kicking child at playground seeks mediation
The Jakarta Post
A man who allegedly kicked a boy at the playground of a mall in Kelapa Gading, North Jakarta, is seeking mediation by the National Commission for Child Protection (Komnas PA) to clarify the incident.
The man, identified as Jonathan Dunan, said he had intended to halt the motion of a swing with his foot, after the swing had hit his daughter walking behind it on Wednesday. A video of his foot hitting a boy playing on the swing has been widely shared online.
“I was panicked after seeing my daughter fall and cry… I spontaneously approached [my daughter] and intended to stop the swing with my foot, so that it wouldn’t hit other people, including myself,” he said, as quoted by wartakota.tribunnews.com on Monday.
Jonathan said he expected mediation facilitated by the commission to clarify the incident, so the issue could be settled and so that no more fake news about it would circulate online.
The footage circulating on social media shows the boy on the swing unintentionally hitting Wilhelmina Dunan. Jonathan is then seen kicking the boy on the swing. The boy’s mother confronts Jonathan, and their quarrel is recorded on a phone.
Jonathan said the mall’s management had mediated and settled the matter, adding that he had also offered the mother to do medical check-ups of both of their children, which the mother refused.
Kelapa Gading Police issued a summons on Sunday to question Jonathan and the mother of the boy.
Jonathan said he would fulfil the summons on Tuesday. (ami)
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- To fast or not? Free of IS, Syrians in Raqa mark relaxed Ramadhan
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- After 20 years, tough road ahead
- Anwar Ibrahim's Jakarta visit packed with media interviews
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Jambi tribes may not be able to vote in upcoming elections
- Video of Malaysian PM Mahathir driving Proton Perdana goes viral
- Police nab ‘conspiracy theorists’ following Surabaya bombings