Jokowi congratulates Mahathir on 'smooth democratic process'
Marguerite Afra Sapiie
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has congratulated newly elected Malaysian Prime Minister Mahathir Mohamad on his victory in an official phone call, and said that Indonesia-Malaysia relations would strengthen further under the new leader.
Jokowi called the 92-year-old veteran Malaysian politician late Thursday evening after Mahathir's opposition alliance won against the Barisan Nasional coalition, which has been in power for more than six decades.
"I am delighted to hear that the democratic process [in Malaysia] went smoothly and safely," Jokowi said to Mahathir, the Presidential Media Bureau released in a statement on Friday.
"I believe that under Mr. Mahathir's leadership, [Indonesia-Malaysia] relations will be improved further, and I pray that Mr. Mahathir will always be in good health to serve the mandate of the Malaysian people," the President added.
Mahathir was sworn in on Thursday evening as the 7th Malaysian prime minister. He had previously served in the position for 22 years from 1981 to 2003. (evi)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- ASEAN’s priority: China