Jakarta rules out compulsory vaccination for school admission
The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration has ruled out compulsory vaccination for kindergarten and elementary school admission, according to a circular letter issued by the Jakarta Education Agency.
Jakarta Education Agency deputy head Bowo Irianto said the decision was taken to make it easy for parents who wanted to enroll their children in kindergartens or elementary schools.
“Jakarta has a very varied population, so access to schools must be open wide and in a nondiscriminatory way,” Bowo told The Jakarta Post on Wednesday.
“Besides, immunizations can be done after the children are enrolled in school, which the city’s health facilities will provide,” Bowo said.
The circular letter came to attention when a citizen, Widhi Maulana, 32, posted a WhatsApp comment criticizing the decision.
“The previous regulation was good to ensure that children are vaccinated, but the administration has changed,” he said in his status.
He said that he noticed the circular letter when it was posted at the Penggilingan 1 community health center (Puskesmas) in East Jakartawhile he was trying to get an immunization certificate for his 2-year-old child.
He said that even after seeing the letter he still decided to get the immunization certificate. “Perhaps next year they will change the rule again,” he told the Post.
Opposition to vaccination among parents has begun to rise, they refuse to vaccinate their children despite the rise in outbreaks of preventable diseases such as diphtheria. (ami)
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report
- Minister Wiranto's grandson drowns in garden pond
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky