Slain Riau police officer devout Muslim, say friends
The Jakarta Post
Slain traffic police officer Second Insp. Auzar, who died after an attack on Riau Police headquarters on Wednesday, was known as a religious man who also taught children to read the Quran, friends say.
"He was a good man," Auzar's friend, Asril Darma -- who is also the Riau National Broadcasting Commission head -- said after learning about Auzar's death.
Asril added that Auzar was the type of person who easily befriended people.
Read also: Four suspects shot dead in Riau police attack, one officer dies
"He was also pious. He often recited the call to prayer at the Al Falah Mosque on Jl. Surabaya and at the Hikmah Mosque on Jl. Sewu," he added.
Second Insp. Ade, a member of the Riau Police's public relations division, echoed Asril's comments, saying that Auzar was a devout Muslim.
"He was one of the people who most often performed the voluntary prayer at the Al Adil Mosque at police headquarters," Ade said. He added that Auzar would also often lead the prayers as an imam at the mosque and would often be asked to recite prayers at police events.
He also taught children to read the Quran at his local mosque in the Sail subdistrict of Pekanbaru.
Auzar had just finished performing a prayer when the attack occurred. As he exited the mosque, he saw a car speed towards the police headquarters' gate and tried to block it as other police officers were chasing after it.
The car crashed into him, causing severe injuries. He was rushed to the Riau Police Hospital for treatment but his life could not be saved. (kmt/evi)
- Joey Alexander’s new music video showcases the beauty of Bali
- Indonesia sees 7 brutal animal killings in 2018
- Shell eyeing Indonesia's LNG market
- UK's official Brexit campaign fined, referred to police
- A world without America
- Beijing's new airport comes with new construction tech
- A guide to understanding the Freeport divestment deal
- Indonesia to invite Kim Jong-un, Moon Jae-in to attend Asiad
- Under fire, Trump says he misspoke on Russia election meddling
- Government oversells PT Freeport Indonesia agreement