Four suspects shot dead in Riau police attack, one officer dies
The Jakarta Post
National Police spokesperson Insp. Gen. Setyo Wasisto said in a press conference on Wednesday that four suspects were shot dead after their attack at the Riau Police headquarters in Pekanbaru.
One officer, Second Insp. Auzar, died after the suspects' Toyota Avanza allegedly hit him in the attempt to flee the scene. The driver of the car was later arrested and detained at the Pekanbaru Police precinct, Setyo said.
Riau Police chief Insp. Gen. Nandang said in an interview with tvOne that four of the attackers wielded sharp swords. Two police officers, Comr. Faridz and Brig. Jon Hendrik, reportedly suffered slash wounds from a sword attack.
During the suspect's alleged attempt to flee the scene by car, two journalists were also hit, one from tvOne and another from MNCTV. The two journalists suffered injuries and are being treated at a police hospital. (evi)
- Anwar reassures Malays who fear losing racial advantage
- To fast or not? Free of IS, Syrians in Raqa mark relaxed Ramadhan
- Joey Alexander among '50 Asians to watch'
- After 20 years, tough road ahead
- Anwar Ibrahim's Jakarta visit packed with media interviews
- How new antiterrorism law will change Indonesia's war on terror
- Danish minister says Ramadan fasting can be 'dangerous'
- Jambi tribes may not be able to vote in upcoming elections
- Video of Malaysian PM Mahathir driving Proton Perdana goes viral
- Police nab ‘conspiracy theorists’ following Surabaya bombings