Jakarta 'bajaj' dress up for Asian Games
Callistasia Anggun Wijaya
The Jakarta Post
More than a dozen bajaj (three-wheeled taxis) decorated to represent Asian Games mascots Bhin Bhin the Cendrawasih bird, Atung the Bawean deer and Kaka the one-horned rhino, are touring Jakarta’s streets to promote the upcoming sporting event.
The Bhin Bhin bajaj is painted yellow and adorned with colorful feathers, while the Atung and Kaka bajaj are brown and gray, respectively, and have horns.
Twenty Asian Games bajaj gave free rides on May 13-23 to visitors of the National Monument (Monas) area in Central Jakarta from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Starting on Thursday, passengers will be charged as usual, according to Asian Games bajaj coordinator Mulyono.
The bajaj were decorated by state-owned gas distributor PT Perusahaan Gas Negara (PGN) to support and promote the 2018 Asian Games, which will run from Aug. 18 to Sept. 2 in Jakarta and Palembang, South Sumatra.
The company is also paying the bajaj drivers for their work, Mulyono said.
“Later in August, we will be in charge of picking up and dropping off officials,” he added.
A number of buildings and bus stations across Jakarta already bear the 2018 Asian Games colors, mascot and slogan, “Energy of Asia”.
According to the Indonesian Asian Games Organizing Committee (INASGOC), Bhin Bhin, Atung and Kaka represent the country's national motto Bhinneka Tunggal Ika (Unity in Diversity) and the spirit of the quadrennial event.
Smartcitizen, yuk kenalan dengan 3 maskot @asiangames2018!— Jakarta Smart City (@JSCLounge) May 24, 2018
1. Bhin Bhin, sosok burung cenderawasih, burung endemik asli Papua. Bhin Bhin mencerminkan strategi.
2. Kaka, badak bercula satu. Kaka mempresentasikan kekuatan.
3. Atung, Rusa Bawean. Atung melambangkan kecepatan. pic.twitter.com/CJCekgW3Zp
Wearing a vest adorned with Papua’s asmat motifs, Bhin Bhin represents strategy, while Atung, dressed in a sarong with Jakarta’s tumpal pattern, embodies speed.
Kaka wears the traditional flower motif of Palembang and represents strength. (wit)
Jumat, 18 Mei | #InfoDamkarDKI Teman-teman, yuk kenalan dengan 3 maskot #AsianGames2018! 1. Bhin Bhin, sosok burung cenderawasih, burung endemik asli Papua. Bhin Bhin mencerminkan strategi. 2. Kaka, seekor badak bercula satu. Kaka mempresentasikan kekuatan. 3. Atung, sosok Rusa Bawean. Atung melambangkan kecepatan. 92 hari menuju Asian Games 2018! . #JakartaForAsianGames2018 #WeLoveJakarta #DKIJakarta #Jakarta . . . @humasjakfire @aniesbaswedan @sandiuno @dkijakarta @asiangames2018
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Jokowi’s surprise for Korea
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Merpati escapes bankruptcy, but no guarantee it will fly again
- Prabowo plans Singapore-like taxes for Indonesia
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- Lion Air: a deadly crash and a whole lot of questions for Boeing
- Teenagers boil sanitary pads to get high
- Trump fires senior advisor at start of expected White House reshuffle
- Indonesia records US$1.82 billion trade deficit in October