More than half Idul Fitri buses unsafe for 'mudik': Agency
The Jakarta Post
As many as 1,540 buses were declared unsafe and forbidden to operate in this year's Idul Fitri mudik (exodus) season because they did not pass the Jakarta Transportation Agency’s ramp checks.
Jakarta Transportation Agency head Andri Yansyah said the result of the ramp checks was based on motorized vehicle examinations that the agency had conducted at bus terminals from last Thursday until Tuesday.
Of the 2,899 buses examined, he said, 1,359 were considered safe to operate while the other 1,540 were forbidden to operate until they had been repaired.
“A lot of the buses had components that needed repairs, such as their electrical circuits or damaged bodies. We forbid all buses that did not pass the ramp checks from operating to avoid any danger [to passengers],” Andri said on Tuesday as reported by wartakota.tribunnews.com.
He said some of the buses’ electrical components were broken; for example their brake lights, turn signals or reverse lights were not working properly.
He said some of the seat belts on the buses were also not operating properly, the number of seats did not match the required numbers according to regulations, parking brakes were non-operable and some had damaged bodies.
“If some of the buses can still be repaired, we will wait before allowing them to operate. If a bus was too damaged and needed intensive repairs, we immediately crossed them out. We will also check the availability of the safety equipment of the buses, such as glass-breaking hammers or emergency doors. We prioritize safety because it is not something to play around with,” he said. (ami)
- Google Search introduces new feature to reduce clicks
- Shots fired at US embassy in Ankara, no casualties
- Pontianak urges school closure for smog
- Asian Games: Poor ticket handling after spectacular opening
- BREAKING: Another 7-magnitude quake hits Lombok
- Asian Games: Flags rise again for swimming medalists after Sun's demand
- Trump lashes out at Russia probe as 'McCarthyism'
- Model claiming Trump secrets pleads not guilty in Thailand case
- Asian Games: We need more experience, says Indonesia wrestling team after failur...
- Four Japan athletes booted from Asian Games in prostitute scandal