First LRT to be up and running on July 15 in Palembang
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo is scheduled to inaugurate the light rapid transit (LRT) on July 15 in South Sumatra’s capital Palembang, which will cohost the 2018 Asian Games in August.
South Sumatra Governor Alex Noerdin said Jokowi would also inaugurate the rowing lanes for the Games at Jakabaring Sport City.
“We’re now sharing information on how to buy [LRT] tickets, what is allowed and not [on the LRT]” Alex said recently.
The LRT in Palembang, he said, would be the first to run in Indonesia. Greater Jakarta is building LRT tracks but the projects have yet to be completed.
Palembang’s LRT spans 24 kilometers from Sultan Mahmud Badaruddin II Airport to Jakabaring Sport City, at a cost of Rp 10.9 trillion (US$760 million).
It was built in time to transport athletes and participants of the Games and will be open to the public at a later date. However, the LRT still needs to be connected to other modes of transportation like the bus rapid transit Transmusi and public minivans.
South Sumatra Transportation Agency head Nelson Firdaus said on Tuesday his office wanted to connect the 13 LRT stations with Transmusi stops.
The city plans to sell LRT tickets for between Rp 5,000 (35 US cents) and Rp 10,000, Nelson said.
Earlier in May, Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi said the LRT would be up and running on July 15. The LRT comprises eight trains with 24 cars made by state-owned train manufacturer PT Industri Kereta Api. (evi)
- Trump targeted by G-20 as leaders push back on combative tweets
- Supreme Court to decide on UK-Scotland Brexit standoff
- Some countries buying Russian gear deserve sanctions waivers: Mattis
- Yuval Noah Harari: '21 Lessons' from data, meditation to AI and 'Black Mirror'
- Indonesia soccer fans damage Asian Games stadium
- Thousands protest Australia's refugee detention policy
- Four kids, riding motorbike without helmets, taught valuable lesson by cop
- World Bank official drowns at Bali beach
- One dead, suspect surrenders after US supermarket hostage drama
- Too ugly, too smelly: Jakarta covers up ‘Black River’ for Asian Games