Minister, stakeholders to meet on increasing egg price
The Jakarta Post
Trade Minister Enggartiasto Lukita is to meet with chicken breeders, traders and other stakeholders on Monday to discuss and evaluate the increasing price of chicken eggs that has become a household concern.
Enggartiasto said in Jakarta over the weekend that the ministry did not know the exact cause of the price hike, but guessed that it was caused by an imbalance in supply and demand.
“We want to listen to the stakeholders' testimonies whether the weakening rupiah is also one of the reasons, because [certain ingredients] for chicken feed are imported,” said the minister.
The price of eggs has been increasing in recent months and reached Rp 29,000 (US$2.01) per kilogram on Friday, from the regular price of about Rp 20,000 per kilogram.
“Last week, the price of eggs was Rp 27,000 [per kilogram],” said Surati, a customer as a Jakarta market, as quoted by kompas.com. (bbn)
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- Medan police officer imprisoned for shredding Quran
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- New Zealand PM makes UN history with first baby
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world