Minister, stakeholders to meet on increasing egg price
The Jakarta Post
Trade Minister Enggartiasto Lukita is to meet with chicken breeders, traders and other stakeholders on Monday to discuss and evaluate the increasing price of chicken eggs that has become a household concern.
Enggartiasto said in Jakarta over the weekend that the ministry did not know the exact cause of the price hike, but guessed that it was caused by an imbalance in supply and demand.
“We want to listen to the stakeholders' testimonies whether the weakening rupiah is also one of the reasons, because [certain ingredients] for chicken feed are imported,” said the minister.
The price of eggs has been increasing in recent months and reached Rp 29,000 (US$2.01) per kilogram on Friday, from the regular price of about Rp 20,000 per kilogram.
“Last week, the price of eggs was Rp 27,000 [per kilogram],” said Surati, a customer as a Jakarta market, as quoted by kompas.com. (bbn)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- 22 migrants missing off Morocco after boat capsizes
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Republican urges conservatives to run against Trump in 2020
- Trump says doesn't want to hear 'suffering' Khashoggi tape
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...