Govt plans 500% diesel subsidy hike for 2019
The Jakarta Post
The government plans to increase the subsidy for Solar-branded diesel fuel to Rp 2,500 (US 17 cents) per liter in 2019, from the current subsidy of Rp 500 per liter.
Solar costs Rp 5,150 per liter at the current subsidized rate
Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said on Wednesday that the increased subsidy was possible upon projections that the global price for crude oil would not increase significantly next year.
The government's projection for the 2019 global crude price is $70 per barrel. The current global crude price is $71.71 per barrel on Wednesday
In June, the government announced that it would increase the subsidy for Solar this year from Rp 1,500 to Rp 2,000 per liter, but the plan has yet to be implemented.
Sri Mulyani said the government would soon announce this year's subsidy increase of Rp 2,000 per liter.
"For next year, the diesel fuel subsidy will be between Rp 2,000 to Rp 2,500 per liter, depending on the global oil price," she said after a Cabinet meeting at Bogor Palace in West Java.
According to the Energy and Mineral Resources Ministry, subsidized diesel composed 30 percent of the country’s fuel consumption.
This year's total fuel consumption is estimated at 75 million kiloliter, or 471.75 million barrels. (bbn)
- North Sumatra's regent nabbed in antigraft operation
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- 'Waria' told to leave their home in Jakarta amid anti-LGBT campaign
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Govt looks to private employees to fill public jobs after 90 percent of applican...
- 'Moral panic' targets Indonesia's LGBT community