Steel import uncontrollable, local producer says
The Jakarta Post
Steel producer PT Krakatau Steel has said local steel producers were seriously affected by an uncontrollable inflow of steel from other countries, particularly after the government issued a new regulation on steel imports.
PT Krakatau Steel commissioner Roy Makingkas said in Jakarta on recently that Trade Minister Regulation No. 22/2018 on iron and steel imports did not take the side of local steel producers, although the government wanted to improve productivity and competitiveness of the national industries.
He said previous Trade Minister Regulation No. 82/2016 was much in favor of the national steel industry.
“What is the objective of the government in issuing Trade Minister Regulation No. 22/2018, while Regulation No. 82 is already good for the national steel industry?” Roy said as reported by kontan.com.
He explained that the relaxation to smoothen the import of raw materials to support local manufacturing industries could not be applied to steel because it was a specific product that was not produced on a massive scale.
The Central Statistics Agency (BPS) had recorded 5.5 million tons of imported steel from last year up to April. The import reached 2 million tons up to April this year.
Roy said the increase in steel imports did not only occur in upstream products like hot-rolled coil/plates, cold-rolled coil and wire rods, it also occurred in downstream products like coated sheets. (bbn)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- UGM considers expelling alleged sexual abuser amid public pressure
- Lippo's Karawaci flooded, Pejaten Village catches fire
- ASEAN’s priority: China
- Jokowi ratifies seven trade agreements
- President Trump, thank you for not attending ASEAN summit
- US pilots say Boeing didn’t warn of 737 feature tied to crash
- Passenger demands window seat, gets amusing response from flight attendant
- 21 companies to relocate factories from Karawang over high wages
- Macron the latest US ally insulted by Trump