Nearly 1,000 tourists evacuated from Lombok's three Gilis
Ivany Atina Arbi
The Jakarta Post
The National Search and Rescue Agency (Basarnas) has been evacuating nearly 1,000 foreign and local tourists from the popular three Gili islands in Lombok, West Nusa Tenggara (NTB), following a magnitude 7 earthquake that hit the region on Sunday evening.
Through Twitter account @humas_basarnas, the agency reported that a total of 358 tourists – comprising 148 foreign visitors and 210 local visitors – had been evacuated to Bangsal port in the northern part of Lombok Island as of 11:15 a.m. on Monday. One of the local visitors died in the disaster.
“The evacuation process is being carried out in stages using inflatable boats to bigger ships,” the Basarnas’ account tweeted.
National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) spokesman Sutopo Purwo Nugroho said an estimated 1,000 tourists were still waiting to be evacuated from the three islands, namely Gili Trawangan, Gili Air and Gili Meno. Through his Twitter account he shared a video of the evacuation from one of the islands, but he did not specify which island.
Wisatawan asing dsn domestik menunggu evakuasi dari Gili Trawangan, Gilingan Air dan Gili Meno Lombok Utara. Terbatasnya kapal menyebabkan evakuasi bertahap. Tim SAR akan menambah kapal. pic.twitter.com/EZKqwLnQjQ— Sutopo Purwo Nugroho (@Sutopo_PN) August 6, 2018
A magnitude 7 earthquake rocked Lombok on Sunday evening, leaving 91 people dead, more than 200 others injured and thousands of buildings demolished. (evi)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Instagram co-founders step down from company: NYT
- China says can't hold US trade talks with 'knife to the throat'
- K-Pop stars BTS at UN urge world's youth to 'just speak yourself'
- 'Scandal' website portrays Sandiaga Uno as womanizer
- Iran in the spotlight as Trump, Rouhani set for UN clash
- The Indonesian kid who stirs the Hollywood Bowl: Malea Emma Tjandrawidjaja
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Transjakarta bus crashes to avoid hitting street sweeper