80 questioned in Depok graft case against Nur Mahmudi
The Jakarta Post
The police have questioned 80 witnesses in a graft case involving former Depok mayor Nur Mahmudi Ismail and former city secretary Harry Prihanto as suspects related to a Jl. Nangka road-widening plan, a 1.5-kilometer stretch of road in the West Java town.
The Development Finance Comptroller (BPKP) estimated that the two suspects had caused Rp 10 billion (US$680,757) in state losses, Depok Police chief Comr. Didik Sugiarto said on Wednesday.
“We started the investigation in November 2017. We’ve questioned all parties including civilians, Depok city councillors, residents and all who were related to the case,” Didik said, kompas.com reported.
He said based on the evidence and witnesses’ accounts they had gathered, the police named them suspects on Aug. 20.
“The investigators found that HP [Harry] and NMI [Nur Mahmudi] had broken the law in the construction of Jl. Nangka, Jl. Tapos and Jl. Raya Bogor,” Didik said. Jl. Nangka in Tapos district is a popular alternative route for motorists going from Jl. Raya Bogor to the Jagorawi toll road.
He said the investigators were still gathering more evidence.
“When the time comes, we will summon NMI and HP for questioning,” he said.
Nur Mahmudi was the former chairman of the Islamic-based Justice Party, which was then changed into the Prosperous Justice Party (PKS). He served as the agriculture and plantation minister under former president Abdurrahman Wahid from 1999 to 2000 before serving as Depok mayor between 2006 and 2016. (ami)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- India launches 'Modicare', world's biggest health scheme
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- China's bullet trains are coming for Hong Kong's airlines
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- Attempt to send underage prostitutes to Bali ends at airport: Police
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy