Jokowi asks Jack Ma to invest more in Indonesia
The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo welcomed the billionaire co-founder of Chinese e-commerce giant Alibaba, Jack Ma, at Bogor Palace on Saturday.
The President and the billionaire held a meeting partly to discuss the Asian Games 2022, which will be held in Hangzhou, China.
Hangzhou is the city where Ma lives, as well as the location of Alibaba’s headquarters.
During the meeting, Jokowi also expressed hope that the giant e-commerce firm would increase its investment in Indonesia.
“Thank you for the sustainable commitment in the e-commerce and economy sector in Indonesia. I am waiting for good news from you today in regards to Alibaba’s commitment in Indonesia,” Jokowi said to Ma, as quoted by antaranews.com.
The President also said he was impressed by the technology firm, recalling his visit to Alibaba’s headquarters in Hangzhou on Sept. 2, 2016, in between the G20 Summit.
“I am glad that after visiting [Alibaba’s headquarters in] Hangzhou, Alibaba has committed to investing further billions of dollars in Indonesia,” he added.
During the meeting, Jokowi was accompanied by Cabinet Secretary Pramono Anung, Foreign Affairs Minister Retno Marsudi, Coordinating Economic Minister Darmin Nasution, Coordinating Human Development and Culture Minister Puan Maharani and Communications and Information Minister Rudiantara.
The meeting also addressed the current digital economy situation in Indonesia, as Ma serves as an adviser to Indonesia’s e-commerce steering committee.
Jack Ma plans to attend the closing ceremony of the 18th Asian Games on Sunday. (sau/ahw)
- Warding off Lembu Sora’s curse at Mt. Kelud crater
- Militants attack Iran army parade killing civilians: state media
- New bombshell revives debate on Trump fitness for office
- Truck full of bodies draws Mexicans searching for relatives
- Top Muhammadiyah figure resigns as Jokowi’s special envoy
- Trump outburst over Kavanaugh's female accuser sparks hashtag trend
- First to red planet will become Martians: Canada astronaut
- One year on, far right has transformed German politics
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Police probe new drug rape claims against US doctor, girlfriend