Trans-Papua road project suspended amid worsening security
The Jakarta Post
The government in Jakarta has decided to suspend construction work on some parts of the trans-Papua road project following reports that armed Papuan rebels have allegedly killed dozens of workers in Nduga regency, Papua.
Public Works and Housing Minister Basuki Hadimuljono told reporters on Tuesday the government would suspend the construction of 35 bridges on the 278-kilometer road that is to connect Wamena and Mamugu.
“With this incident, we will stop all the work from Wamena to Mamugu while waiting for the situation to be conducive [for continuing],” he said.
The National Police and the Indonesian Military (TNI) are still investigating claims that between 28 and 31 workers building a bridge on Yigi-Kali Aurak River in Nduga were shot dead by members of a National Liberation Army of West Papua faction led by Egianus Kogoya.
According to the police, the incident took place after one of the workers — most of whom come from South Sulawesi — took a photo of a pro-Papuan independence ceremony on Saturday.
The workers were reportedly murdered on Sunday.
Two state-owned construction firms — PT Istaka Karya and PT Brantas Abipraya — are responsible for the construction work along the road.
PT Istaka has been assigned to build 14 bridges, 11 of which are under construction. PT Brantas, meanwhile, has been tasked with building 21 bridges and is currently working on five of them.
PT Brantas has halted the construction of some bridges based on the recommendation of the Papuan military command, Basuki said.
“In Papua, we couldn’t work without guaranteed security. The security coordinating center called for the projects to be suspended.”
The development of the 4,300-kilometer trans-Papua road in Papua and West Papua provinces in Indonesia’s easternmost provinces is expected to be completed this year, Basuki said last year.
Despite the work suspension, President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo, who is seeking re-election and has been touting his infrastructure drive in his campaigns, made assurances that the development in Papua would continue.
“Papua's infrastructure development will not stop because of this.”
The government, along with PT Istaka Karya, the construction company for which the allegedly murdered men worked, has yet to confirm the number of victims in Sunday’s killings. It was previously reported by the National Police that as many as 31 workers had died.
“There were 28 workers in the location — the workers came from South Sulawes i— which we expect to be victims now, but we will confirm it later,” PT Istaka Karya's president director, Sigit Inarto, said. (ggq)
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Of legs and Pancasila: Two petitions battle it out over BLACKPINK ad
- Real Crazy Rich Asian wedding to cost $100 million
- Indonesia plans to make 30 percent biodiesel blend mandatory, studies B100
- Jakarta sinking fast: Experts
- Don’t panic: Indonesian ‘cendol’ different from Singaporean ‘cendol’
- 21 tons of trash flows into Jakarta Bay daily: Researcher
- Indonesia launches One Map Policy to resolve land conflicts
- Wika announces development contracts in 10 countries
- Shopee BLACKPINK commercial too salacious, KPI says