Survey says Porto is best European destination, again
China Daily/Asia News Network
Portugal's Porto was recently voted Best European Destination of 2017 by an organization called European Best Destinations.
This is the third time that the city has won the award. The earlier times were 2012 and 2014.
Milan in Italy took second place and Gdansk in Poland was third.
EBD has been doing its best destination evaluation since 2009, and the program has seen more than 3 million travelers and fans vote so far. The EBD recommendations are considered influential on social media.
The distinction granted to Porto reaffirms Portugal's place as an important tourist destination, according to Portugal's tourism authority.
(Read also: Enjoy a night at sea in free-floating capsule hotel)
Porto has many attractions for visitors. The Avenida dos Aliados is the main hub of downtown Porto. Then, there is Ribeira, one of the most attractive districts of Porto. From there, visitors can take a cruise on the Douro.
The Church of S. Francisco is one of the most important Gothic churches in the city. Its Baroque interior is covered in gilt carvings.
The Palacio da Bolsa features 19th-century elements, and its Salao Arabe (Arab Hall), the Hall of Nations and the grand staircase are all stunning attractions.
The Clerigos Tower is also one of the local landmarks. It is worth climbing to the top of the tower for a view of the city.
The Lello Bookshop is known, among other things, for its staircases that inspired the author of the Harry Potter series.
You might also like :
- Ahok, sex, and a ghost story of democracy
- BREAKING NEWS: Explosions hit East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Eyewitness hears "two explosions" erupt in East Jakarta
- BREAKING NEWS: Suicide bomber, policeman killed in Kampung Melayu attack: Police
- Chaos erupts after suspected bomb blasts strike Kampung Melayu bus terminal
- BREAKING NEWS: Police say explosions a suicide bombing
- Portrait of Myanmar's 'Buddhist Bin Laden' chills Cannes
- #PrayForJakarta, #KamiTidakTakut trend worldwide following bomb blast
- Officers hit by suicide bomb guarding pre-Ramadhan parade: Police
- Ahok resigns as Jakarta governor