Bali tourism institute to host food festival
The Jakarta Post
State-run Tourism Institute (STP) Nusa Dua Bali is set to hold the Beach Food Euphoria festival at Kedonganan Beach, Badung, on July 21-22.
“The festival was initiated by our event and convention management students as part of the institute’s goal to have them participate in promoting the Kedonganan culinary area and develop the region’s natural resources and culture,” said STP Nusa Dua Bali head Dewa Gede Ngurah Byomantara.
“There’ll be a tukik [baby turtle] release ceremony as part of locals’ awareness of environmental sustainability,” he added.
The festival will also feature a food competition, flair bartending, fruit carving, LED water drum, games and dance and music performances.
Eateries in the area will also offer 30 percent discounts on food.
The institution has hosted many events in the past, such as the J.KO (Japan Korean) Fiesta, the Folk Market, the STP Job Fair, the Zombie Run and seminars.
Read also: Bali’s new tourist spot boasts herbs, coffee
Tourism Minister Arief Yahya commented that local cuisine was one example of a cultural product and culture itself was included in the tourism portfolio, consisting of nature (35 percent), culture (60 percent) and man-made attractions (5 percent).
“Cuisine accounts for about 30 percent of culture’s 60 percent share in the portfolio,” said Arief.
He added that eating and shopping were the most popular activities of tourists at 45 percent, followed by village and city tours (35 percent) and cultural tourism ( 20 percent). (kes)
- High alert: Mt. Agung eruption imminent
- Dust off your shoulder pads -- 'Dynasty' is back
- No prediction when Mt. Agung will erupt: BNPB
- Mitra Keluarga Hospital punished for neglecting patient
- Jokowi to hand over Rp 7.1b to Mount Agung evacuees
- Private lenders partake in Greater Jakarta LRT project
- Jokowi to visit Mount Agung evacuees in Klungkung
- BPJS expected to suffer Rp 9t deficit this year: Official
- Report reveals 38 deaths linked to lack of healthcare services in Yahukimo
- Fight Kim Jong-un instead of Duterte? Trudeau did not say that