Jokowi optimistic about meeting 20 million foreign tourists target
At a limited cabinet meeting on the development of 10 New Balis on Nov. 16, President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo was optimistic that the target of attracting 20 million foreign tourists by 2019 can be achieved as long as the development of 10 New Balis is done.
He explained tourism is currently growing in the global scene, such as China that sends out 125 million tourists in a year. In five years, the number is expected to reach 180 million.
Additionally, out of the 125 million Chinese tourists, 62 million traveled to Asian countries.
Jokowi said that a part of the millions of Chinese tourists can come to Indonesia if the development of 10 New Balis is done quickly.
“The 20 million target isn’t something that is hard to achieve. We see the impact of tourism towards micro, small and medium enterprises, souvenir [shops] and eateries,” told Jokowi.
The President also insisted on maintaining the local touch and traditional values in the 10 New Balis. He also requested the Creative Economy Agency (Bekraf) as well as ministries to handle tourism businesses and environment matters.
Included in the 10 New Balis are Lake Toba in North Sumatra, Tanjung Kelayang in Belitung, Tanjung Lesung in Banten, Thousand Islands in Jakarta, Borobudur Temple in Central Java, Bromo Tengger Semeru in East Java, Mandalika in Lombok, Labuan Bajo in East Nusa Tenggara, Wakatobi in Southeast Sulawesi and Morotai in North Maluku. (kes)
- BTS presents tearful, beautiful finale of ‘Wings’ tour in Seoul
- Foreign prisoner escapes from Kerobokan prison
- Online shops not causing closure of retail outlets: BPS
- Heavy rainfall in Jakarta topples trees, disrupts traffic
- Qatar interested in investing in Mandalika tourism zone: Luhut
- Floods, toppled trees disrupt Transjakarta services
- Jakarta administration criticized for not uploading meeting videos
- Heavy rainfall unanticipated, says BPBD
- ‘Wonder’, a wonderfully heartwarming film for all
- Anies visits inundated underpass in Dukuh Atas