Youth science camp seeks to counter shortage of researchers in Indonesia
The Jakarta Post
Indonesia lacks researchers compared to other Southeast Asian countries, according to Bambang Subiyanto, the vice chairman of the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI).
As reported by Antara news agency, the country only has around 9,500 researchers, far below the ideal number of at least 250,000 researchers given its population of more than 250 million people.
As part of an effort to boost the number of researchers, LIPI is hosting the 16th National Youth Science Camp (PIRN) in Aceh from July 9 to July 16.
Bambang said around 450 students, including from senior high schools, Islamic senior high schools and vocational schools across the country's 28 provinces, are participating in the event.
Read also: SabangMerauke aims to shatter misconceptions
“These students will learn how to begin research, what they should do and what the standards are,” he said.
“Hopefully it will inspire them to conduct research and become researchers.”
PIRN is an educational activity that promotes research methodologies in science, engineering and social studies.
The participants can expect to receive mentoring on scientific research, presentation, field training and exhibitions.
The activity is being held in several locations across Aceh, including Pasir Putih, the Lampulo Fish Auction (TPI), Semen Andalas, Lampisang and Lhok Seudu. (wir/kes)
- To fast or not? Free of IS, Syrians in Raqa mark relaxed Ramadhan
- Anwar Ibrahim's Jakarta visit packed with media interviews
- Saudis detain women's advocates ahead of driving ban lift
- Homes in East Lombok attacked, Ahmadis take refuge at police HQ
- Boy who could not wait for new phone burns down family's house
- Cuba confirms 110 killed in country's deadliest plane crash since 1989
- UGM launches app to help you help disaster victims
- Indonesia, South Africa organize forum to boost economic ties
- Anwar Ibrahim: Indonesia visit to celebrate ‘Reformasi’
- Trump, Moon discuss N. Korea's threat to scrap summit