The month of August will mark 61 years of Indonesia’s pursuit for nuclear science and technology for peaceful purposes.
Indonesia joined the International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) on Aug. 7, 1957, the same year the agency was established. Eight years later in 1965, the country’s first nuclear reactor was inaugurated by then-president Sukarno in Bandung, West Java. Since then, nuclear reactors and related facilities have been utilized solely for peaceful activities, including research, training and the production of radioisotopes.
With our multilateral diplomacy in the area of “atoms for peace” continuously strengthening, Indonesia has been actively involved in various debates, such as those centered on technical cooperation, nuclear safety and nuclear applications to ensure their successful implementation and the attain...
Disclaimer: The opinions expressed in this article are those of the author and do not reflect the official stance of The Jakarta Post.