press enter to search

Justin Bieber denies sexual assault allegation: 'No truth to this'

Ryan Arcadio

Inquirer.net/Asia News Network

 /  Tue, June 23, 2020  /  09:51 am
Justin Bieber denies sexual assault allegation: 'No truth to this'

Singer Justin Bieber poses at the premiere for the documentary television series 'Justin Bieber: Seasons' in Los Angeles, California, United States, on January 27, 2020. (REUTERS/Mario Anzuoni)

Justin Bieber has slammed an allegation that he sexually assaulted a woman in 2014, adding that he will be taking legal action.

The singer was accused by a woman who identified herself as Danielle, who narrated her account on Twitter. She claimed that Bieber had raped her on March 9, 2014 at a Four Seasons hotel in Austin, United States.

Entertainment site Pop Crave posted screenshots of the woman’s now-deleted posts on its Twitter page yesterday, June 21. The account of the said Danielle also now appears to be inaccessible.

Danielle noted that she and Bieber had been consensually kissing before he took advantage of her. However, Allison Kaye, a representative for Bieber, denied the allegation, citing that he was not staying in the said hotel at the time.

Following the woman’s claim, Bieber spoke about the issue on his own page earlier today, June 22.

“I don’t normally address things as I have dealt with random accusations my entire career but after talking with my wife and team I have decided to speak up on an issue tonight,” he said.

“Rumors are rumors but sexual abuse is something I don’t take lightly,” he added. “I wanted to speak out right away but out of respect to so many victims who deal with these issues daily I wanted to make sure I gathered the facts before I made any statement.”

Read also: Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber drop track for COVID charity

He then stressed that “[t]here is no truth to this story” before posting articles and photos, which stated that he was not at the said hotel.

Among the photos he included were emails stating he was at an Airbnb with his then-girlfriend Selena Gomez and friends. However, Bieber also pointed out that the woman’s claim must have mentioned Four Seasons due to a tweet by one @ErinALynch in 2014. The Twitter user said she had seen the singer in the hotel on March 10, 2014.

Bieber quickly insisted that he was staying at another location by uploading receipts of his payments to his accommodation. Bieber had booked them under the alias Mike Lowery.

Bieber then confirmed with the regional manager of Four Seasons that he was not there on March 9, 2014, nor the day after.

As the artist ended his statement, he stressed that “[e]very claim of sexual abuse should be taken very seriously and this is why my response was needed.”

He also asserted that the woman’s story is “factually impossible.” Bieber revealed that he will be working with Twitter and authorities to pursue legal action.

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now
This article appeared on the Philippine Daily Inquirer newspaper website, which is a member of Asia News Network and a media partner of The Jakarta Post