TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Eight historical buildings gone in 1 week

  • Apriadi Gunawan

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Tue, May 25 2010   /  09:30 am

Demolition of eight historical buildings in Medan, North Sumatra began last week despite concerns from activists and historians.The historical buildings — five Dutch colonial-era buildings on Jl. Timor and three on Jl. Ahmad Yani  — would be replaced by a shopping mall and a newspaper office.Sumatra Heritage Council (BWS) secretary Rika Susanto, said that the demolition of historical buildings in Medan was uncontrolled. More than 45 of 150 historical buildings that the BWS proposed for preservation have been torn down over the last several years, she said. The BWS handed over the historical building protection proposal program to the municipality in  1999.City bylaws listed 42 protected buildings in the city, compared to 660 protected buildings in Medan and its surrounding area.The BWS has tried to protect historical buildings, but to no avail, insisting on the need of stro...