TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

One more Indonesian hostage freed by Abu Sayyaf

  • Liza Yosephine
    Liza Yosephine

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, September 22, 2016   /  09:45 pm
One more Indonesian hostage freed by Abu Sayyaf Defense Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu (center) speaks during a press conference about the release of three Indonesian crewmen held hostage by the Abu Sayyaf militant group in Zamboanga City in the Philippines on Sept. 18. (JP/Haeril Halim)

Another Indonesian hostage has been freed by the notorious Abu Sayyaf militant group, bringing the total number of men expected to soon return to Indonesian up to four, an official has confirmed.

The fourth Indonesian, named Harman Manggak, was officially handed over to the Indonesian consul general in Davao, Berlian Napitupulu, on Thursday at 5 p.m. local time at the WestMinCom headquarters in Zamboanga, the Indonesian Foreign Ministry's director for the protection of Indonesian nationals and entities abroad, Lalu Muhammad Iqbal, said on Thursday. 

"He will be handled by the Indonesian Consulate General in Davao, specifically to undergo trauma healing, before returning together with the three previously released hostages," Iqbal said.

Harman is a fisherman from Bulukumba, South Sulawesi, and was the captain on board a Malaysian-flagged fishing boat that was attacked by the armed Filipino militants in Malaysia's Sabah waters on Aug. 3.

It is not known whether any ransom was paid for the release of the men who were believed to be held in the southern Philippines. 

His release followed that of three Indonesian crewmen of another Malaysian-flagged boat who were released by the militants on Sunday. Defense Minister Ryamizard Ryacudu had hinted on Sunday that there would be another hostage released following the three crewmen, but he gave no further details.

Five Indonesian sailors remain in captivity, held by the Philippine militant group that is notorious for extracting ransom payments in return for the lives of hostages.

The remaining people, who were crewmen aboard the Indonesian-operated tugboat Charles, have been in captivity since June 21, making them the longest-held captives in the most recent string of abductions of Indonesian sailors. (rin)

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now