TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Government doesn’t need to disclose Munir assassination findings: Court

  • Marguerite Afra Sapiie
    Marguerite Afra Sapiie

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Thu, February 16, 2017   /  08:43 pm
Government doesn’t need to disclose Munir assassination findings: Court Activist Suciwati, the widow of rights defender Munir, embraces Maria Sumarsih, the mother of Wawan, who was killed during the Semanggi Tragedy, next to a photo installation during the 10th commemoration of the "Kamisan" silent protest in front of the Presidential Palace in Jakarta on Jan. 19. Held every Thursday, this was the 477th protest reaching its 10th year since the first protest in 2007, which asks the government to resolve past human rights violations. (JP/Seto Wardhana.)

Efforts to resolve the murder of human rights activist Munir Said Thalib once again hit a stumbling block, as a provincial court annulled on Thursday the Public Information Commission’s (KIP) ruling that obliged the state to reveal the case's investigative report by a fact-finding team.  

The Jakarta State Administrative Court (PTUN) has ruled in favor of the State Secretariat that challenged the Commission for Missing Persons and Victims of Violence (Kontras), which jointly filed a public information request with Munir’s widow Suciwati and the Jakarta Legal Aid Institute (LBH Jakarta) to the KIP in April.

PUTN judge Tri Cahya Indra Permana said the panel of judges concluded that there was no evidence that the investigative findings submitted to President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono in 2005 had been handed over to the State Secretariat to be archived.

“The government does not yet have to disclose the findings on Munir’s death as referred to in Presidential Decree No. 111/2004 on the fact-finding team because [the document] is not in possession of the plaintiff [State Secretary],” presiding judge Wenceslaus said when reading out the ruling, adding that “the KIP’s ruling dated Oct. 10, 2016, that is being disputed, therefore is declared annulled.”

(Read also: Expecting miracle in Munir murder investigation)

The KIP stipulated on Oct. 10, 2016, that all the findings on the case submitted to the government in 2005 was public information that should be disclosed. The KIP specifically told the State Secretariat to reveal all requested information as it was in charge of the government’s administrative paperwork, including documents sent to the president. (dan)

Your premium period will expire in 0 day(s)

close x
Subscribe to get unlimited access Get 50% off now