The Jakarta Post
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo is set to cancel some of his 245 National Strategic Projects, mostly in infrastructure and particularly those that would not to be completed in 2019, the last year of his five-year term.
The projects and two programs were stipulated in Presidential Regulation No. 3/2016 and amended to become Presidential Regulation No. 58/2017 on the acceleration of the implementation of infrastructure projects.
Investment for the projects is estimated to reach Rp 4.43 quadrillion (US$322 billion).
Head of the Prioritized Infrastructure Acceleration Committee Wahyu Utomo declined to elaborate on the exact number of projects that would be canceled.
On the progress of the projects, he previously revealed that the government had managed to complete 26 projects by the end of 2017 – comprising 20 projects in 2016 and six projects in 2017.
Wahyu said his team had evaluated the projects and the findings would soon be reported to Jokowi. “Hopefully, we will report to the President next week,” said Wahyu in Jakarta on Sunday as quoted by kontan.co.id.
He said many projects could be canceled because of various reasons, including resistance by local people, failure to get approval from local governments, failure in land acquisition and based on research recommendations. (bbn)