The Jakarta Post
International Monetary Fund (IMF) spokesman Gerry Rice has extended his condolences to the victims of the recent terrorist attacks in East Java’s capital of Surabaya, saying that the organization was ready to work closely with Indonesia to ensure the safety of the participants of the 2018 IMF-World Bank Annual Meetings in Bali in October.
‘We extend our deepest sympathy and condolences to the families of the victims who've died under these terrible terrorist attacks in Indonesia,” Rice said during a press briefing in Washington on Thursday as seen on his Twitter account.
At least 28 people were killed and dozens of others injured when suicide bombers attacked three churches and one police headquarters in Surabaya on Sunday and Monday. The police continue to search for terrorist suspects behind the incidents, some of whom have been arrested or killed.
Rice said he was confidence that the meeting would take place successfully as the Indonesian government had made “extraordinary efforts” to assure the security of the island during the meeting.
“We look forward to having a successful meeting, and, you know, the Indonesian authorities, I can tell you, are making extraordinary efforts to make sure that is the case, and we're working closely with them on that,” he added.
“The cooperation is excellent and we're confident that we will have a successful annual meeting in October. “
Previously, Finance Minister Sri Mulyani Indrawati said that the bombings would not affect the government’s preparations for the meeting.
She said the government, Indonesian Military (TNI) and the National Police were closely working together to ensure the resort island’s security during the meeting, which is expected to be attended by about 15,000 participants. (bbn)