The Jakarta Post
The Jakarta administration has yet to begin the development of a kampung susun (elevated village) and temporary shelters for evicted Bukit Duri residents in South Jakarta, saying it faces difficulties in finding vacant land for the projects.
The Jakarta Housing and Settlement Agency scrapped the budget of Rp 5.98 billion (US$400,084) for the construction of the shelter from the 2018 city’s budget because it had failed to find vacant land.
“Because [the development] couldn’t be realized and [the budget] became unused funds, it was better for us to scrap it from the city budget,” said acting agency head Meli Budiastuti.
Currently, the Jakarta administration is checking the availability of two plots of land for the projects. The first one is the 1.6-hectare Wisma Ciliwung site and the second is on land owned by the Finance Ministry, both located near the cleared Bukit Duri village.
“If the status of the land [of the Finance Ministry] is clear, we will allocate the budget [to procure the land],” city secretary Saefullah said on Wednesday as quoted by kompas.com.
Further, the administration is set to deliver a letter to the ministry to ask it to grant the land for the construction of the kampung susun. Saefullah said the land had been vacant and unused for years.
Meanwhile, a representative of Bukit Duri residents, Sandyawan Sumardi, suggested the Jakarta administration procure the Wisma Ciliwung land.
“We have suggested that. However, I don’t know, the procedure is always complicated,” Sandyawan said as quoted by tempo.co.
For the temporary shelter, the residents had recommended the city administration procure the land owned by the Finance Ministry. (cal)