The Jakarta Post
The Bekasi administration has threatened to block the route of Jakarta dump trucks to Bantar Gebang waste treatment facility if its Jakarta counterpart fails to pay financial compensation for having the dumpsite in the West Java city.
“We might close [access to] West Bekasi so that [the Jakarta dump trucks] will have to go through Cibubur,” Bekasi Deputy Mayor Tri Adhianto said as quoted by kompas.com on Sunday,.
The financial contribution, Tri added, would be used to build the Rawa Panjang and Cipendawa flyover that would help ease Jakarta dump trucks’ commute to Bantar Gebang. The flyover is predicted to cost up to Rp 1 trillion (US$65.7 million) for land clearance and construction.
Once construction is complete, the dump trucks will be able to go straight to Bantar Gebang, without making any stops in Bekasi, Tri said.
He called on the Jakarta administration to support the project, saying that the agreement over the grant had been approved by then-Jakarta governor Basuki “Ahok” Tjahaja Purnama.
“The Jakarta administration owes Bantar Gebang residents. But there are many other things needed to be solved, such as transportation along with the flyover construction,” Tri said.
“We aim to start the project in 2020. This is for both cities’ best interest.” (vla)