The Jakarta Post
Prosecutors at the Bandung District Court have indicted two juvenile suspects, aged 16 and 17, with murder following the death of a Persija Jakarta soccer club supporter last month in Bandung, West Java.
During the first hearing of the case on Tuesday, prosecutor Melur Kimaharandika indicted both suspects, who he said “intentionally took someone’s life”, for violating Article 338 of the Criminal Code (KUHP) on murder and Article 170 on assault, as well as Law No.11/2012 on juvenile crimes.
Article 338 carries a maximum punishment of 15 years in prison, while Article 170 on assault carries a maximum sentence of 12 years imprisonment. Law No. 11/2011 stipulates that juvenile suspects only serve half of adult sentences.
The suspects’ lawyer Dadang Sukmawijaya said charging the teenagers with murder was too severe.
“The situation when the assault happened triggered the suspects to join the attack [on Haringga],” Dadang said, adding that charging the youths under Article 170 on assault was more suitable. He claimed that his clients beat the victim twice and kicked him once and later left the scene.
The police have arrested 14 people in the case with half of the suspects aged under 18.
Five other juvenile suspects would face trial on Wednesday, said Dadang. (vny)