The Jakarta Post
The families of some national heroes have threatened to remove the bodies of their relatives buried in Kalibata Heroes Cemetery, following an attempt by the Indonesian Military (TNI) to evict them from a military housing complex in Menteng Pulo, South Jakarta.
A representative of the families, Tini, said they planned to remove the bodies because the TNI did not treat the heroes’ families properly during the eviction attempt on Wednesday.
"The eviction was executed arbitrarily and it was disrespectful to the memory of the heroes," Tini said on Thursday as quoted by kompas.com.
Meanwhile, Dasril, a member of the guard on duty at the cemetery, said the families could not remove the bodies. "The families signed agreements that they handed over the bodies [of the heroes] to the country."
Previously, military personnel in full riot gear were accused of threatening the residents with violence if they did not leave.
The residents resisted the eviction effort resulting in a clash that left one resident, Jayadi, 25, injured.
The TNI forced two families out of their homes because none of the family members were military veterans or their spouses, while the other 42 families were spared eviction.
Jakarta Military Command spokesperson Lt. Col. Kristomei Sianturi said the homes would be used to accommodate active personnel and their family members.
A 2009 Defense Ministry regulation on military housing stipulates that residents shall vacate the homes if the personnel they are related have retired or died. (cal)