Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Mystery around suspected kidnapping of woman in Austria

  • News Desk

    Agence France-Presse

Vienna, Austria   /   Wed, January 23, 2019   /   10:10 am
Mystery around suspected kidnapping of woman in Austria Police officers secure the crime scene where a person died and an other has been injured by gunshots in the historic center in Vienna, Austria, on December 21, 2018. Two people were injured by gunshots in the historic centre of Vienna on Friday afternoon, city police said in a statement. A search was launched after the two were found in the Lugeck area of the city's first district at 1:30pm (1230 GMT), police said. The circumstances of the shooting are still unclear, it added. (AFP/Georg Hochmuth/ APA )

An 88-year-old woman was abducted on the street in a suspected kidnapping in the Austrian town of Eisenstadt, police said Tuesday.

The woman was walking down the street with her nurse when two black limousines pulled up beside them and two people emerged, police said in a statement.

They made the 88-year-old get into one of the cars -- which are thought to have had foreign licence plates -- before speeding off.

"The search for the suspects is in full swing," a police spokesman told the APA news agency.

However Interior Minister Herbert Kickl sounded a note of caution over the nature of the crime, saying it was not clear "whether this is a kidnapping in the classic sense of the word".

Police said they could not reveal the victim's identity at this time.

Austrian media have named her as the mother of Stefan Ottrubay, head of the foundation which manages the ancestral fortune of the former Hungarian noble family of Esterhazy.

Police said investigations were being conducted "internationally" while local media reported heavily armed officers on the streets of Eisenstadt in the hours after the abduction.

Cars were being stopped and searched, especially those with Hungarian licence plates, one witness said.