The Jakarta Post
A fire broke out under the Pluit toll overpass at kilometer 25 in Pejagalan, Penjaringan, North Jakarta, on Saturday at 8.56 a.m., destroying around 100 semipermanent homes. No casualties were reported.
Firefighters and 12 fire engines were rushed to the scene and by 10.45 a.m., the fire had been extinguished.
North Jakarta secretary Desi Putra said that the fire might have been caused by a stove from one of the semipermanent buildings under the overpass.
“We’ve made sure that there were no casualties. Around 100 houses were destroyed by the fire,” Desi said on Saturday in a written statement.
However, according to the Jakarta Fire and Rescue team, one person suffered minor injuries and had been brought to Pejagalan Hospital to receive treatment.
The North Jakarta municipality has declared a three-day emergency for those affected by the fire, distributed food and clothes to some 300 people, as well as erected temporary shelters.
Meanwhile, toll operator PT Citra Marga Nusaphala Persada (CMNP) Tbk assured that the overpass was safe for operation and the company would place extra security around the affected toll road section.
CMNP corporate secretary Indah Dahlia Lavie said the company would examine the toll overpass and repair sections affected by the fire.
“We apologize for the inconvenience [of] heavy vehicles passing the toll road and the closure of lane 3 from Ancol to the Soekarno-Hatta Airport and vice versa,” Indah said on Saturday in a written statement.
Indah urged motorists to be patient of possible long lines and to obey traffic laws.