TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Six dead, 200 injured in Jakarta riot: Jakarta governor

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Wed, May 22, 2019   /   10:47 am
Six dead, 200 injured in Jakarta riot: Jakarta governor Protestors attack the National Police's Mobile Brigade (Brimob) dormitory in the early hours of May 22. (Antara/M. Risyal Hidayat)

As riots escalated in the capital on Wednesday morning, Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan said that six people had died as of 9 a.m.

“Six people have died so far. Two at Tarakan Hospital and then at Pelni, Budi Kemulyaan, Cipto Mangunkusumo and RSAL Mintoharjo hospitals,” he said.

“In total, six people had died and 200 sustained injuries as of 9 a.m.,” he added.

In a public address, Anies said he had gone to Tarakan Hospital in Central Jakarta earlier in the morning to check on the injured protesters.

“Tarakan Hospital received the largest number of patients as of this morning. Around 80 injured protesters were brought in this morning. Meanwhile, around 70 injured protesters were admitted to Pelni Hospital in West Jakarta,” he said.

Anies called on the protesters to maintain public order and safety to prevent more deaths and injuries.

“Please protest in a peaceful and orderly manner. I also urge law enforcement personnel to practice restraint to avoid any unwanted conflicts with the protesters,” he said. (rfa)