At least eight people were killed in two days of post-election riots in Central Jakarta, while hundreds required medical care, the city administration said on Thursday.
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan revealed the new casualty figures while visiting the center of the unrest on Thursday morning, after the violence had subsided.
“The latest death toll is eight people,” he said. “As per 11 a.m. today, 737 people have received medical treatment at hospitals around this area.” He added that at least 79 of those people had been heavily injured.
Anies went on to say that people in their twenties dominated among those admitted to hospitals.
"The largest [group] undergoing medical treatment were 294 people of 20-29 years of age, followed by 170 people below the age of 19. So, the number of young adults is quite high," he added.
Anies refused to reveal the causes of the deaths amid the police's ongoing investigation.
Late on Wednesday, Jakarta Police spokesman Sr. Comr. Argo Yuwono said four of the riot victims had died of stab wounds. Police are checking the cause of death of the other victims and deepening their investigation into the three riots that erupted in Central Jakarta and West Jakarta. (iwa)