The Jakarta Post
The government plans to block the use of cell phones bought in the black market to curb the distribution of such phones.
The plan was announced after the government required all phone users to register their SIM cards.
The Industry Ministry will reportedly implement the blockage through the International Mobile Equipment Identity (IMEI) number that identifies the device with the SIM card input.
The ministry’s electronic and telematics director, Janu Suryanto, said the ministry would draft a regulation on the blockage.
“ A legal basis is being prepared. We have frequent meetings [on the issue],” he said as quoted by kompas.com on Monday, adding that the ministry had also involved representatives of relevant institutions during the meetings.
He said details of the draft had been discussed thoroughly to ensure the regulation was enforceable.
Technically, Janu said the process to block illegal cell phones was complicated.
He could not confirm an earlier report that the policy would start in August. “We’re focusing on the completion of the regulation,” he said.
An earlier report also said the blockage of illegal cell phones would involve at least three institutions – the Industry Ministry, the Communications and Information Ministry and the Trade Ministry. (bbn)