TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Terror victims await compensation as regulation stalls

  • Ardila Syakriah

    The Jakarta Post

PREMIUM
Jakarta   /   Mon, July 8, 2019   /  02:55 pm
The Jakarta Post Image
An Indonesian counterterror policeman stands guard at a blast site following a suicide bomb outside a church in Surabaya on May 13, 2018.(AFP/Juni Kriswanto)

Wartini, 50, was six months pregnant with her third child when her husband, Syahromi, a survivor of the 2004 Australian embassy bombing in Jakarta, passed away two years after the blast permanently damaged his cochlea. She said that Syahromi had been complaining of severe headaches prior to his passing. During the Sept. 9 attack, which killed 11 people and injured dozens of others, then 35-year-old security staffer Syahromi had been guarding the embassy's lobby. At around 10.30 a.m., a 1-ton car bomb exploded outside the gates of the embassy, sending him flying across the lobby; his head hitting the wall, Wartini said. "He couldn't work for around a month. After that, he resumed working at the embassy," she told The Jakarta Post recently. Shortly after the attack, help poured in for Syahromi and Wartini. The government covered Syahromi's ...