Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Indonesian journalist hit by rubber bullet during Hong Kong protests

Indonesian journalist hit by rubber bullet during Hong Kong protests Demonstrators take cover under umbrellas as they face riot police during a protest against police violence in Hong Kong, China, on July 28. (Reuters/Tyrone Siu)
Karina M. Tehusijarana
Jakarta   ●   Sun, September 29, 2019 2019-09-29 19:25 585 43c48a2ddad3c738da9daa2a510910d6 1 World Hong-Kong,Hong-Kong-protests,protest,protests,demonstration,journalist,rubber-bullet,shots Free

A Hong Kong-based Indonesian journalist has been hit by a rubber bullet while covering a demonstration in the Wan Chai area of Hong Kong, China, the Indonesian Consulate General in Hong Kong confirmed on Sunday.

A tweet showed Veby Mega Indah, who works for Suara, an Indonesian-language newspaper in Hong Kong, with a bandage around her eye while receiving medical attention.

The Indonesian Consulate General in Hong Kong said it had received a report that the journalist had been hit by a rubber bullet on Sunday afternoon. 

"It is reported that the journalist immediately received treatment from the medical team and was rushed to the hospital," Consul General Ricky Suhendar said in a statement.

He added that a team of the Consulate General had immediately gone to the hospital to ensure Veby received the help she needed.

"Right now Veby is conscious and being treated by doctors. The Consulate General will continue to accompany her while she remains in the hospital," he said. 

"The Consulate General continues to urge all Indonesian citizens in Hong Kong to stay away from the current demonstration locations: Causeway Bay, Wan Chai, Admiralty and Central," he added. 

Anis Hidayah, director of the NGO Migrant Care, said the Hong Kong government should take responsibility for the incident.

"The Indonesian government through the Consulate General in Hong Kong should take swift action to investigate this," she told The Jakarta Post.