The Jakarta Post
The Organization of Islamic Cooperation (OIC) has agreed on a resolution to reject United States President Donald Trump's peace plan for the Middle East, saying it "does not meet the minimum aspirations and legitimate rights of the Palestinian people and contradicts the terms of reference of the peace process”.
They also called on all 57 member states not to deal with the plan or help implement it.
The resolution was made after the Open-Ended Extraordinary Meeting of the OIC Executive Committee in Jeddah, Saudi Arabia, on Monday.
"Indonesia urges all OIC members to remain united and committed in full solidarity for Palestine," Deputy Foreign Minister Mahendra Siregar said in a statement received by The Jakarta Post on Monday.
He led the Indonesian delegation at the meeting, which was held at the request of the Palestinians in response to Trump’s "deal of the century" announced last week. The peace proposal required a future Palestinian state to be "demilitarized", while formalizing Israeli sovereignty over settlements built in occupied territories.
In order for the OIC to achieve a joint position, Mahendra argued that the Muslim world should consistently be united in resolving the issue of Palestine and Jerusalem while retaining the principles of a “two-state solution” that respected international law and "internationally agreed parameters".
Mahendra added that the Muslim world should reaffirm the importance of dialogue between parties concerned to achieve lasting peace and stability for Palestine and the region.
Indonesia’s suggestion was offered after Saudi Arabia, as host of the meeting, had barred its regional rival from participating by not issuing visas for Iranian participants, Reuters reported.
"The government of Saudi Arabia has prevented the participation of the Iranian delegation in the meeting to examine the 'deal of the century' plan at the headquarters of the Organization of Islamic Cooperation," Iranian Foreign Ministry spokesman Abbas Mousavi said as reported by Fars news agency.
Mousavi said Iran had filed a complaint with the OIC and accused Saudi Arabia of misusing its position as host for the organization's headquarters. There was no immediate comment from Saudi officials.
Iranian officials have condemned Trump's plan for resolving the conflict between Israel and Palestine as a non-starter after it was officially announced last week. The Palestinian leadership has rejected the plan, saying it heavily favored Israel and would deny them a viable independent state.
Saudi Arabia and Iran are locked in a proxy war as they vie for influence across the Middle East. They support opposite sides in the conflicts in Syria and Yemen.