TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Formula E organizers declare Monas racetrack plan feasible, reveal circuit design

  • News Desk

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sat, February 15, 2020   /   12:15 pm
Formula E organizers declare Monas racetrack plan feasible, reveal circuit design The National Monument (Monas), Jakarta on Feb. 11. The city plans to hold a Jakarta Formula E race in the Monas area on June 6. (JP/Wendra Ajistyatama )

After weeks of discussions, the National Monument (Monas) complex in Central Jakarta was declared feasible as a circuit for Indonesia’s first Formula E electric motorsports championship, which is scheduled to take place on June 6 this year.

The announcement was made during a press briefing on Friday, when city-owned developer PT Jakarta Propertindo (Jakpro), the Indonesian Motorsports Association (IMI) and Formula E Operation revealed the circuit design.

“Engineers, architects and representatives of the FIA [International Automobile Federation] have examined everything and made sure that the Monas complex is suitable for a world-class racetrack,” IMI chairman Sadikin Aksa said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com.

He said construction of the race’s necessary infrastructure would be completed in two months. The FIA will conduct a final inspection days prior to the race to certify the racetrack.

“The FIA will assess not only the racetrack, but also its safety before granting the eligibility certificate. The track must be in line with the FIA’s grade-3 standards, which are sufficient for a Formula E race. We don’t need a grade-1 or grade-2 circuit since this is not permanent,” Sadikin said.

A grade-3 circuit is designed for a single-seater racecar with a weight-to-power ratio of between 2 and 3 kilograms per horse power. Formula E racecars are included in this category.

Read also: Jakarta motors ahead with e-prix plans despite controversies

The total distance of the Monas circuit will be 2,588 meters, with the tracks 9.5 to 12-meter wide. The circuit, comprising a total of 12 turns, will be able to accommodate cars racing at a maximum speed of 220 kilometers per hour.

The circuit starts from the street in front of City Hall, then runs clockwise from Jl. Merdeka Selatan, turning right at the Arjuna Wiwaha Horse Statue at the southwest part of the Monas monument. It continues around the western side of Monas before running along its southern side.

The circuit then turns southeast before returning to the starting point at City Hall.

City secretary Saefullah previously said construction for the race needed to be completed by April, as tests would be carried out prior to the race in June.

Read also: Need for speed: Jakarta to start Formula E track construction despite criticism

The race, also known as the Jakarta e-Prix, will mark the first time Indonesia holds a Formula E race. Governor Anies Baswedan said in September last year that the country had secured a deal to host the race for five consecutive years from 2020 to 2024.

The Medan Merdeka Area Development Steering Committee, led by State Secretary Pratikno, initially rejected the plan to turn the Monas area into a racetrack due to its designation as a cultural heritage site.

It asked the city administration to alter the plan by moving the race to other locations such as Jl. MH Thamrin, Jl. Sudirman and the area around the Gelora Bung Karno Stadium.

The committee later accepted the location under the circumstances that the city preserves the cleanliness, vegetation and security of the Medan Merdeka area. It also required the administration to coordinate with various agencies to ensure that the cultural heritage site continues to function as normal. (syk)