TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

COVID-19: Central Java reports two new cases, tally rises to four

  • Suherdjoko

    The Jakarta Post

Semarang   /   Mon, March 16, 2020   /   02:32 pm
COVID-19: Central Java reports two new cases, tally rises to four A medical team transports a patient to the isolation ward of the Dr. Kariadi General Hospital (RSUP) during a simulation of a novel coronavirus outbreak in Semarang, Central Java, on Jan. 30. (Antara/Aji Styawan)

Central Java Governor Ganjar Pranowo has announced that two more people have tested positive for COVID-19, raising the province’s current tally to four confirmed cases.

The administration had previously reported one confirmed case and one death in Surakarta.

“We’ve been monitoring the situation in Central Java. Today, we’ve identified confirmed COVID-19 cases in Central Java. There are two cases: one in Semarang and another in Magelang,” Ganjar said during a press conference on Sunday, adding that the respective patients were being treated at the Dr. Kariadi General Hospital in Semarang and the Tidar General Hospital in Magelang.

He went on to say that the confirmed cases were Indonesian nationals.

The Semarang case is a 63-year-old female, and the Magelang case is a 36-year-old female, according to the governor.

“The two patients have been handled in accordance with the established procedure. [They] are in normal condition and have been recovering. We have instructed hospitals and the Health Agency to conduct contact-tracing on the patients,” Ganjar added.

Central Java Health Agency head Yulianto Prabowo said the agency had conducted contact tracing on the two new cases. Preliminary results showed that the Semarang case had recently visited Bali, he said.

“Meanwhile, the Magelang case has just returned from Malaysia,” Yulianto said.

Ganjar called on the public to assist the local administration in gathering information regarding the spread of COVID-19 throughout the province.

“We have set up a call center for members of the public who wish to pass on information,” Ganjar said.

The local administration has taken several anticipatory measures to mitigate the impact of the public health emergency, he said. Such measures included encouraging social distancing and urging the public to stay home as much as possible.

As of Monday, Indonesia had reported 117 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with five deaths. The spread of the novel coronavirus prompted regional heads in a number of areas, including Jakarta, Banten and West Java, to temporarily close schools and public areas in an effort to contain the virus. (rfa)


If you want to help in the fight against COVID-19, we have compiled an up-to-date list of community initiatives designed to aid medical workers and low-income people in this article. Link: [UPDATED] Anti-COVID-19 initiatives: Helping Indonesia fight the outbreak