TheJakartaPost

Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

COVID-19: Jakarta extends closure of tourist destinations, entertainment venues

  • Dyaning Pangestika
    Dyaning Pangestika

    The Jakarta Post

Jakarta   /   Sat, April 4, 2020   /   06:05 pm
COVID-19: Jakarta extends closure of tourist destinations, entertainment venues The tornado ride at Dufan (Fantasy Land) in Taman Impian Jaya Ancol, North Jakarta. (Shutterstock/Anaretsa77)

The Jakarta administration has extended the closure of tourist destinations and entertainment venues for 17 days starting on Friday as part of the capital’s effort to contain the spread of COVID-19.

Jakarta Tourism and Creative Economy Agency head Cucu Ahmad Kurnia said four additional types of locations would closed until April 19: children’s playgrounds, sports and recreational facilities, barbers and beauty salons and public meeting spots like ballrooms and Meeting, Incentive, Convention and Exhibition (MICE) centers. 

“Once again we would like to urge business owners to follow the closure extension policy. After careful consideration, we will also close down four business places that could potentially cause COVID-19 to spread,” Cucu said in a written statement published on the Jakarta administration website. 

Previously, the Jakarta administration announced the temporary closure of city-owned tourist destinations and entertainment venues from March 23 to April 4 to limit the spread of the highly contagious respiratory disease. The locations were originally expected to reopen on April 5.

They included Ancol Dreamland Park, Ragunan Zoo and the city’s famous National Monument (Monas) landmark. The administration also imposed a mandatory closure on entertainment venues such as night clubs, bars, karaoke clubs, spas and movie theaters.