The Jakarta Post
The government is set to launch a financial stimulus scheme for active employees below a certain pay grade later this year amid the ongoing health crisis, State-Owned Enterprise (SOEs) Minister Erick Thohir said on Thursday.
Erick, who also helms the national economic and COVID-19 recovery committee, said the program was expected to run starting in September.
Through the program, employees earning less than Rp 5 million (US$344.16) per month will be eligible for monthly payments of Rp 600,000 over a period of four months, Erick said.
The funds will be transferred directly to the employees’ respective bank accounts every two months.
“The focus of the program is on the 13.8 million active non-PNS [civil servants] and SOEs employees that are registered on the BPJS Ketenegakerjaan [Workers Social Security Agency] with a monthly premium of less than Rp 150,000, or equal to a monthly salary of less than Rp 5 million,” Erick said on Thursday as quoted by tribbunnews.com.
He went on to say that the program was crucial to reinvigorate consumer spending and kickstart national economic recovery amid the ongoing COVID-19 pandemic.
Finance Minister Sri Mulyani previously said the program could set the government back around Rp 31 trillion.
“[The program] is necessary because, as of August, the existing national recovery programs still need to be improved,” Sri said, as quoted by kompas.com. (rfa)