The Jakarta Post
Former Corruption Eradication Commission (KPK) chairman Antasari Azhar has asked where the Rp 546 billion (US$36.5 million) seized as evidence in the high-profile Bank Bali graft case has gone and has urged authorities to ensure the security of the state funds.
The funds, seized in 2009, were supposed to be transferred to an escrow account, he said.
“To every party who cares about this case and future corruption eradication efforts, I personally ask whether [the ruling] has been executed,” Antasari said on Friday, as quoted by Antara News Agency.
Antasari, who chaired the antigraft commission between 2007 and 2009, handled the 1998 Bank Bali case during his time at the Attorney General’s Office (AGO).
Antasari was recently questioned by the National Police’s Criminal Investigation Department (Bareskrim) about the graft case, particularly in regard to the escape of graft convict Djoko Soegiarto Tjandra, who was sentenced to two years in prison for his involvement in the scandal.
“What investigators – whether they are prosecutors, the KPK, or the police – need to keep in mind is that the retrieval of state funds should be the priority,” he said.
He urged investigators to be transparent, saying that all evidence must be logged in the investigation report.
To determine whether the ruling had been put into action, Antasari called on the police to question the head of the South Jakarta Prosecutor’s Office at the time, Deputy Attorney General Setia Untung Arimuladi. (rfa)