The Jakarta Post
The Indonesian government has extended its deepest condolences to the people of the Philippines over the recent bomb attacks that killed at least 14 people and wounded 75 others in the main town of Jolo Island on Monday while asserting that the alleged suicide bomber was not an Indonesian.
“We would like to send our deepest condolences to the victims’ families, the government and the people of the Philippines,” Indonesia’s Foreign Minister Retno LP Marsudi said in a press briefing on Thursday.
She dismissed reports from several news outlets claiming that an Indonesian may have been one of the suicide bombers.
Retno said that according to the information gained by the ministry, no Indonesian citizens were impacted by the incidents. The ministry said it would closely monitor the development of the situation in the country through coordination with the Indonesian Embassy in Manila and the Consulate General office in Davao.
“Based on the last information from the Western Mindanao Command, the suicide bombers were identified as two women,” she added.
“Based on that information, both women were identified as local residents.”
The casualties from the incident that took place around noon on Monday included security force personnel, civilians and the two bombers.
Although no group has claimed responsibility for the deadliest attack this year in the Philippines, local authorities suspect the Islamic State-linked Abu Sayyaf group.
Local authorities also said the two female suicide bombers were widows of militants who were connected to the group and had been involved in other suicide bombings in June last year.
Last year, the region also witnessed a double suicide bombing at a Jolo church that killed more than 20 people and wounded more than 100 others.