Please Update your browser

Your browser is out of date, and may not be compatible with our website. A list of the most popular web browsers can be found below.
Just click on the icons to get to the download page.

Jakarta Post

Two years after Erawan bomb, no justice in sight

  • Pratch Rujivanarom

    The Nation/ANN

Bangkok   /   Fri, August 18, 2017   /   07:28 am
Two years after Erawan bomb, no justice in sight Facebook’s alarm caused many people to ensure their safety before the social media network realized the error and deactivated the feature. “The Safety Check for this crisis has been turned off,” Facebook wrote on its Safety Check page regarding the false alarm in Bangkok. (Shutterstock/File)

Thursday (Aug. 17) marked the two-year anniversary of the deadly bomb attack at the famous Erawan Shrine tourist destination in Bangkok, which killed 20 people and injured 125 others. Internet Law Reform Dialogue (iLaw) says the case has progressed very slowly due to language difficulties, the large number of witnesses and the military court system.

Two Uyghur suspects, Adem Karadag and Mieraili Yusufu, were arrested following the police investigation. Adem, also known as Bilal Mohammed, confessed to being the bomber but later retracted his confession and said he had only admitted guilt because it had been forced out of him by officers. Both suspects were sent for trial at Bangkok Military Court but no verdict has been reached even though the trial was due to start a year ago.

Yingcheep Atchanont, iLaw coordinator, says the prosecution has failed to progress because only one witness has been interrogated in the two years since the attack. He said this was a bad situation insofar as providing justice for both the victims and the defendants.

“From our observation of the court proceedings, we noticed that the witness interrogation during the first court was very slow because statements in court had to be translated into English and then into Uyghur,” Yingcheep said.

According to iLaw, the two defendants have already attended court 13 times over the last year and the military attorney has declared that 447 witnesses must be questioned before the court can rule. It has therefore been estimated that the case will take up to seven years to be concluded.

Yingcheep said the high number of witnesses was not the only problem - Military Court procedure was also slow and long periods of time elapsed between court dates.

From iLaw observations, he said, the court scheduled six days to interrogate the first witness. Once the long periods of waiting between court appearances were included, however, the time to interrogate the first witness was actually 59 working days, from May 11 to July 18.

Yingcheep said the slow pace of proceedings was in no one’s interest. “We also worry about the living conditions of both suspects, because the officers have not allowed outsiders to see them in their cells,” he said. “Even their lawyer has experienced difficulties visiting them. We can only hope that both suspects are treated well and their rights and dignity are respected.” 

Royal Thai Army Commander in Chief General Chalermchai Sitthisart said security surveillance had continued to be tight in Bangkok since the attack. He would not comment on the slow court proceedings, saying only that the case was still ongoing.

Deputy police spokesman Pol Col Krisana maintained the case was progressing in line with normal court procedure and police had finished their enquiries and closed the case.

This article appeared on The Nation newspaper website, which is a member of Asia News Network and a media partner of The Jakarta Post