PKB unperturbed by parties' support for Jokowi's reelection
The Jakarta Post
The National Awakening Party (PKB) will not declare support for President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo's reelection in the near future, a party executive has said.
PKB deputy secretary-general Daniel Johan said the party had yet to discuss which presidential candidate the Islamic party would support in the 2019 presidential election because it did not want to affect Jokowi's performance.
“[We want] the government to focus on its work. We want the government to focus on serving the people so that it will be successful,” he said on Friday as quoted by kompas.com.
Read also: Parties seek votes through Jokowi factor
Of the seven government coalition parties, only the Indonesian Democratic Party of Struggle (PDI-P), the PKB, and the National Mandate Party (PAN) have yet to decide whether to support Jokowi in 2019.
The Golkar Party, the United Development Party (PPP), the NasDem Party and the Hanura Party have all declared support for Jokowi's reelection.
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo shakes hands with Hanura Party patron Wiranto, who is accompanied by party chairman Oesman Sapta Odang (second right) and secretary general Sarifuddin Sudding (left). (The Jakarta Post/Zul Trio Anggono)
Daniel gave assurances that the PKB would continue to support Jokowi's current administration until 2019.
He said the PKB would rather prepare for the upcoming simultaneous 2018 regional elections.
Hanura declared support for Jokowi in the 2019 presidential election during its national leadership meeting in Bali on Aug. 4-5.
The PPP declared its support in its national meeting last month. (ecn/bbs)
- Contract to be extended to 2041 as Freeport agrees to divest 51% shares
- Indonesian N219 aircraft succeeds in first test flight
- Soekarno-Hatta airport’s skytrain begins trial operation
- Put on some weight, says politician to Jokowi in prayer
- Jokowi declares graft war in front House members, Setya
- Studio Ghibli goes into full production for new Hayao Miyazaki film
- Jokowi wears traditional attire during annual state of the nation address
- EDITORIAL: Forever young Indonesia
- What not to do in North Korea
- Jokowi maintains merciless stance on drug dealers