Hanura to discuss vice president candidate for Jokowi
The Jakarta Post
The Hanura Party is set to kick off a national leadership meeting in Kuta, Bali, on Aug. 4-5 during which the party will discuss possible vice presidential candidates to be paired with incumbent President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo in the 2019 race.
“Our approach [in selecting a vice presidential candidate] will more on the criteria rather than the personality. We are looking for a candidate who fits with Jokowi,” the meeting's steering committee head, Djafar Badjebersaid, said as quoted by kompas.com.
The venue of the Hanura Party's National Leadership Meeting in Kuta, Bali, on Thursday. President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo is scheduled to attend the meeting on Friday. (The Jakarta Post/Zul Trio Anggono)
During its extraordinary national congress in December last year, Hanura declared its support for the reelection of Jokowi in the next presidential election.
The NasDem Party and the United Development Party (PPP) have also declared support for Jokowi.
Djafar said the meeting in Bali would also formulate strategies for the 2019 legislative election. Hanura targets being among the "big four" at the House of Representatives.
“It’s a great challenge for us to enter the big four. But we are serious about reaching our goal,” he said.
With 16 lawmakers, Hanura is currently the smallest among the 10 parties at the House. (ecn/bbs)
- Christie's to auction rare watch once owned by Egyptian king
- Canned sardines contaminated with thread worms, BPOM confirms
- PDI-P strengthens ties with Golkar
- Tax office eyes 14m taxpayers' annual reports this year
- Jakarta to see medium rain but remain hot during equinox
- Freeport has cost $13 billion losses in environmental damage, says BPK
- Marine personnel rebuild roads, houses ahead of naval exercises
- Brunei, Indonesia work on new hybrid paddy varieties
- Piles of trash continue to flow onto Tangerang shore
- E-cigarettes more likely to get people started on smoking: Study