Construction of Bogor-Sukabumi double track railway to begin this year
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has said the construction of the Bogor-Sukabumi double track railway in West Java will start this year as the budget had been allocated.
"We consider this project to be feasible and we will commence construction this year. The budget is Rp 400 billion [US$30 million]," he said after the Idul Adha prayer in Sukabumi on Friday.
The project is planned to be finished by 2019.
Jokowi added that the project would be followed by the Sukabumi-Cianjur and Cianjur-Bandung railway projects next year.
"I have requested a [feasibility] survey be conducted for the route from Sukabumi to Cianjur, then [extended] to Bandung," the President said.
A train route from Bogor to Bandung has existed since the Dutch colonial era. The Sukabumi train station even began operation in 1882. The Sukabumi-Cianjur-Bandung segments, however, have long been deactivated.
The Bogor-Sukabumi route, meanwhile, was reactivated in 2013 and has managed to attract passengers.
The 57-km train route takes 1 hour and 47 minutes. (bbs)
- Own up to mass Muslim detentions, Amnesty tells China
- Indonesian teenager survives 49 days adrift in Guam waters
- Mount Anak Krakatau erupts, ‘caution’ status maintained
- Insight: New development pathway for Indonesia
- Flights not yet affected by Mt. Anak Krakatau eruption, authorities say
- Brotherhood chief, 65 others get life for Egypt attack
- Journalist murdered in Mexico, ninth of 2018
- Trump's tariffs on $200b of Chinese imports kick in
- Supreme Court pick's accuser agrees to testify Thursday
- Nike-Kaepernick: A marriage of ideals?