Construction of Bogor-Sukabumi double track railway to begin this year
The Jakarta Post
President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo has said the construction of the Bogor-Sukabumi double track railway in West Java will start this year as the budget had been allocated.
"We consider this project to be feasible and we will commence construction this year. The budget is Rp 400 billion [US$30 million]," he said after the Idul Adha prayer in Sukabumi on Friday.
The project is planned to be finished by 2019.
Jokowi added that the project would be followed by the Sukabumi-Cianjur and Cianjur-Bandung railway projects next year.
"I have requested a [feasibility] survey be conducted for the route from Sukabumi to Cianjur, then [extended] to Bandung," the President said.
A train route from Bogor to Bandung has existed since the Dutch colonial era. The Sukabumi train station even began operation in 1882. The Sukabumi-Cianjur-Bandung segments, however, have long been deactivated.
The Bogor-Sukabumi route, meanwhile, was reactivated in 2013 and has managed to attract passengers.
The 57-km train route takes 1 hour and 47 minutes. (bbs)
- BLACKPINK’s Jennie sets records with ‘Solo’ videos
- A father’s love: Wiranto explains why his daughter wears niqab
- Jokowi won't grant Nuril amnesty
- Indonesia mosques spreading radicalism to government workers: Official
- Indonesia's latest economic stimulus package: What you need to know
- AirAsia to move international operations to Soekarno-Hatta airport Terminal 2
- 6 kg of garbage found in dead whale's stomach in Wakatobi
- Nissan’s Ghosn arrested over financial law violation
- Palm oil industry calls on govt to take 'firm' action against Greenpeace
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world