Two toll road sections in Sumatra start operations
The Jakarta Post
Two sections of the Trans-Sumatra toll road started operation after they were inaugurated by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo in Lampung on Sunday.
The 8.9-kilometer Section 1 connects the Port to Bakauheni, and the 5.65-km Section 5 connects Lematang and Kotabaru.
The two sections are parts of the 140.9-km Bakauheni-Terbanggi Besar toll road in Lampung, which cost about Rp 16.8 trillion (US$1.18 billion).
“I encourage the developers to complete the toll road from Bakauheni to Palembang before the start of the Asian Games,” President Jokowi said as reported by Antara.
He believed the construction of the toll roads would be completed as scheduled, although there was still a problem with land acquisition.
“People, particularly in Lampung, will benefit from the project,” Jokowi said, adding that the government was currently also developing Waysekapung Dam, ports, electricity plants and an airport in Lampung province.
“The infrastructure will push down the prices of commodities due to the smooth transportation infrastructure,” the President added. (bbn)
- Boeing ‘confident’ in 737 MAX safety despite aircraft flaw
- Pence says US to partner in Papua New Guinea military base
- Christian school rumor leads to closure of vocational academy in Batam
- US politician stands to win election by one vote
- Sexual harassment victim ordered to start prison sentence next week
- Here are 10 of the most populated cities in the world
- Number of missing in California fire soars past 1,000 as Trump set to visit
- CIA concludes Saudi Crown Prince behind Khashoggi murder: report
- Minister Wiranto's grandson drowns in garden pond
- After Gabo book purge, Kuwait bans Dostoyevsky