Surakarta seeks to become top MICE destination
The Association of Asian Constitutional Courts and Equivalent Institutions (AACC) recently conducted an international symposium on Aug. 9-10 in Surakarta.
Joined by 120 constitutional judges from 15 Asian countries, the event's opening ceremony was attended by President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo.
Supported by the Tourism Ministry, the symposium is said to help promote MICE (meetings, incentives, conferences and exhibitions) tourism in Surakarta.
Read also: Jokowi gives his ‘keris’ to museum
“All secretary generals, constitutional judges from across Asia and President Jokowi gathered in Solo for a MICE event. After the meeting, they are likely to take a tour and it's a great opportunity to introduce Joglosemar [Yogyakarta, Solo and Semarang] tourism,” said the ministry's Archipelago Tourism Marketing Development deputy Esthy Reko Astuti.
While in Surakarta, participants can opt to explore plenty of things, from arts and culture to shopping and culinary. The Central Java city is home of Kasunanan and Mangkunegaran royal palaces, as well as Kauman batik kampong, Laweyan Taman Balekambang, Radya Pustaka Museum and Wayang Orang Sriwedari.
For an authentic shopping experience, visitors can visit Pasar Klewer, Pasar Windujenar, Pasar Gedhe, Ngarsopuro Night Market and Gladag Langen Bogan Solo.
Surakarta also has an array of delicious traditional dishes, such as serabi (rice flour pancake with coconut milk) Notosuman, nasi liwet (savory steamed rice with spicy fried condiment), cabuk rambak, timlo (clear soup filled with various garnishes) Solo, es gempol pleret, tengkleng (mutton soup) and sate buntel. (kes)
- EU launches defence pact it calls 'bad news for enemies'
- Three drug dealers sentenced to death in Riau
- City to cover expenses of Christmas celebration at Monas
- Jakarta’s floods claim life of toddler
- Indonesia wins trade dispute on fatty alcohols with EU
- Dalai Lama turns to iPhone to spread app-iness
- Ministries hand over voter data to KPU
- Singapore Airlines and SilkAir to roll out new airfare pricing
- Indonesia making progress in global ICT ranking
- PGI refuses to celebrate Christmas at Monas